These purse-sized Collaged Kraft Paper Journals make great party favors, hostess gifts and stocking stuffers. We made 60 of these for Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week that had a “garden” theme. Of course, they may be made to go with whatever theme you would like!
This post contains affiliate links.
Cahiers kraft paper journal by Moleskin (3 ½” x 5 ½”) or desired size
Gesso – white
Paint brush or foam brush
Permanent rubber stamp ink
Collage papers (see “Make Your Own Collage Papers” below)
Gift wrap, napkins, computer generated, colored cardstock, etc.
White glue or Mod Podge-Matte finish
- Paint a strip of white gesso along top of front cover (see photos). Let gesso dry well.
- Stamp the title of your journal over the white gesso. Some suggested titles include Notes, Journal, Travel, Recipes. or personalize with a person’s name. Some suggested themes include French, floral, beach, insects, birds, travel, food, holiday, professions…
- Stamp background and motifs.
- Prepare collage papers and lay out on front cover.
- Coat the backside of the collage papers with a thin layer of Mod Podge or watered down white glue and let dry well. If you are applying a motif from a napkin, coat the journal cover with the Mod Podge and then place the napkin on top. Very gently, paint another coat of Mod Podge on top of the napkin.
- For added protection, you may paint a thin layer of Mod Podge over the entire cover and let dry well.